Sunday, October 9, 2011

Week1 Experience


Review of Week1:

When I came to know that I was accepted into the Fall 2011 online teacher training course (10 weeks in length: Sept. 26- Dec. 2, 2011) with University of Oregon, Linguistics Department, American English Institute (UO AEI): Building Teaching Skills Through the Interactive Web (Web Skills), my happiness knew no bound because I haven't taken such course before. I was also much excited about how the things would go along. Robert Elliott, our webskills E-course instructor, American English Institute from the University of Oregon, informed me about how to start. He also helped me sending me some links. His assistance gave me a relief and I was encouraged to make a quick and warm start, though I was quite busy because of Dashain festival (http://www.visitnepal.com/nepal_information/dashain.php) / (http://www.nepalhomepage.com/society/festivals/dashain.html) / (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O9pQaOaMuU) which is the greatest festival for the Hindu. It lasts for about 15 days. Our family expects us home during this festival.
I thought I couldn't give time for this course; however I tried it out whenever I was free and spared some time for the course. I sat on the net and tried to do my best.

What we were asked to do:

 

Week 1: Introductions; creating an Academic Blog

The first week of the course, we will get started - getting to know each other, engaging in planning and processes, and developing a weekly rhythm for working through the topics.
§         Introduction to the course
§         Setting ground rules for discussions
§         Doing a needs analysis related to teaching and technology
§         Looking at rubrics for self-evaluating discussion board posts
§         Discussion: Self-introductions; ground rules for discussions; rubrics for posting

Learning Objectives for This Week:
§         Participants will log into Nicenet and share information about themselves with each other, starting to create a learning community.
§         Participants will collaborate in setting ground rules for discussions and rubrics for self-evaluating discussion board posts.
§         Participants will fill out a needs analysis survey to help ensure that the course topics are appropriate.
§         Task: Participants will create a blog on www.blogger.com using the instructions in Blogger how-to and share the URL with the group.
§         Having created a blog on Blogger, participants will write about what they have done and what they learned in the course so far In at least one published post on their blog.

What I did week1:
– Checked my inbox frequently for some instruction from Robert to follow.
– Clicked the links and saved some files
– was busy reading the discussion and other links
– Introduced myself to the class on Nicenet (http://www.nicenet.org/)
– Visited https://sites.google.com/site/webskillsuo/home frequently to check what I was supposed to do
– Made myself familiar with Internet Classroom Assistant (ICA)
– Tried to know the international friends participating in the course
– I also created a blog (http://smallenglishworld.blogspot.com/) for review of what I learn from webskills
– I could read about the Ground Rules for Discussion & Rubrics seriously and left my comment only after Robert reminded me of the fact that it was also a part of tasks of week1

Time really flew. I didn't feel how the time (week1) passed by. I wanted some more time to understand and know each and everything as well as international personalities but it's OK, friends will be familiar in the coming weeks.

Dipendra 
(Nepal)

No comments:

Post a Comment